This post dawned on me one day when I was deep in a pit of despair. Yep, it was a few months ago and I was depressed but I don’t think I knew it at the time. I was nothing but a slob on the couch and barely moving at all through the day. Just continually going through the motions and not giving a damn about anything or anyone. So my group of blogging besties started talking about being better with self care. And I think everyone was having a hard time about this point, so I had to brainstorm (with their help) new ideas of things to do for myself that would improve my mentality. This is where I got so many answers and started trying to apply them back into my life. Also I took a lot of thought about what I take stock and value in and where I put my own fire and passion into. Overall, it helped a lot to get me centered back to some new form of myself. Now I’m feeling better, I have more resources and have a better idea of what to do when I’m stuck there next time because there will be s next time. All I can hope is that you’ll take something from this and realize there is so much more you can do for yourself to rejuvenate your mood or headspace when you need it most.
- Nap– Sometimes a nap is just what the doctor ordered, getting rest restarts your mind, body and soul so this is also something I do a lot
- Listen to music-Create a new playlist each month or just turn a station on and jam out, have a dance party or learn new lyrics instead of just humming along.
- Watch new tv shows-I mean Netflix and C H I L L what else can I say? We have so many streaming options, no joke I’m watching like 50 shows right now trying to finish them all. What is your current favorite show or binge worthy series? Maybe on hulu or Prime?
- Go to a coffee shop by yourself or with a friend– Order yourself the best most fanciest coffee or drink that you love and indulge in. Why? Because you deserve it every once and awhile.
- Go to the library and research or check out a book-Take a trip to the library. It’s a great place to do some quiet uninterrupted work on your computer, research, read a book in the corner, check out a new genre or get to know new people in a class or workshop that they often provide for low cost or free.
- Listen to a new podcast or one you love– There are now thousands, probably millions of different podcasts or audio book if you’re into those more (see above^)
- UNPLUG– We all need to do it more. Or at all, if you’re like me. SO face it and take a day or weekend off. I’ve been more and more quiet online and trying to refocus
- Do a face mask– I like a good face mask. My skin always feels 1000x better after I care for my skin. I don’t have a routine personally yet but it’s very important because none of us can “Turn Back Time” we only get one face, one body- so we must take care of it and I’m really only realizing that I’ve failed to do this in my thirties now. Anti- aging here we come….
- Do a hair mask- Alternatively, when my hair is dry and breakable, it will make you feel brand new I guarentee you. Plus luscious model hair, who doesn’t want that? Take some selfies while you’re at it!
- Take a bath with bubbles, bath salts or bath bombs– What is better than a hot bubble bath, steamy shower or nice long soak! If you’d like I’d love to reccomend this shop by my best friend who is creating and making bath goodies and massage oil Check her out here- Ashley’s Home Scents
- Do or get your nails done– I love getting my nails done personally it’s one of the most relaxing things I can do. I bite my nails but I love how they look and feel when I get them professionally done. Or otherwise just do them at home manicure yourself. It’s an instant confidence boost for me!
- Have your favorite drink (whatever that may be; wine, cocoa, smoothie, tea, coffee etc)-I personally love coffee in the AM and tea at night. Tea is also great when I have a headache or want to relax.
- Spend some time reading and focus on that alone, be present with the story-I haven’t been a huge reader in the recent past. I go through phases of loving to read and falling out of love with it. It takes a lot for me to get into a book so I suggest finding reading lists or spending time at your library. I need to create a new habit such as reading before bed or in the mornings with coffee.
- Workout, take a class-Go get your sweat on! Try something new or go for a run. There are plenty of new fun exciting and different workout regimes online that you can easily access online. Go treat yourself to some new gear and outfit, you’ll feel great in no time!
- Learn a new skill: like a language, trade or hobby– I learned french in high school and while most of it stuck with me, I am in NO way fluent. So a great way to pick this back up in Duolingo. I’m practicing in my free time, a few minutes here and there and it’s fun. Explore a new hobby, there’s thousands of things you can do so just try something and don’t be afraid to learn more.
- Meditate– Clearing your mind is IMPORTANT. And I believe that mediatation is a practice. It’s not an overnight thing. But it can do some amazing things like lower your heart rate and blood pressure, deep breathing, help you focus and battle your mental illness and help you get a clear head when you feel jumbled up or overwhelmed. All you need is 3-5 minutes a day to see an effect. Don’t be discourgaed at first if it isn’t your thing, give it a chance and just sit with it if need be. It’ll change your life I promise. Plus there’s so many apps and ways you can meditate- most of which are completely free.
- Try Yoga– A great way to workout, stretch and relax that I’m starting as soon as possible. I am headed to create a practice here too with the help of a local yoga studio and a online video playlist. But it’s a great alternative to workouts and does a lot for your mind, body and soul. Stretching and being more flexible again is something I’m really looking forward to like my old dance days.
- Redecorate your room/rearrange your furniture– Rearrange your furniture! It’s so fun and can easily send a fresh vibe through your space especially if you’re keen on feng shui. There’s a whole bunch of tips and tricks online whether you use it or not, but it’s one of my favorite things to do and also counts as a workout right? I rearranged a lot as a kid and I think it helped my mood. Redecorate if you can fully, if not just get a new painting or small room decor, sometimes even a peel and stick wallpaper (to be on the safe side) is fun and can really give you a whole new look!
- Try a new hairstyle, makeup look or nail polish color- Another one of my favorite things! I often change my hair or look when I need a pamper or am in a rut of some kind. One of the smallest things you can do is change your fresh coat of polish and it makes you feel like a million bucks I swear! Play with makeup- it’s just a fun thing to do and can also boost your self esteem and give you a new face completely and alter how you see yourself.
- Call and talk to someone, make plans to do something together- if all else fails, drag someone outside with you, to coffee, to a park, to another state or on a trip. If that doesn’t fancy you, just have a good old chat! Maybe it help you realize something you’ve never thought of before or reconnect with someone who means a lot to you.
On the regular I tend to jump to taking a hot bath or shower, watching a new tv show or treating myself to a nail appt or haircut. It’s just my self care language to treat myself so I wanted to try simpler ideas that don’t cost money. I’ve been starting to read more often and keep on top of my daily habits a bit better to solidify my routines. Starting yoga as a physical exercise regimen is something I’m actively planning on incorporating next month and I hope to perhaps become a yoga teacher through local training at a studio’s new location a few blocks from me. That would start in October which would be good timing I think for my life until the end of the year. Something as a driving force and if it will gain me new experiences with new people, gaining knowledge and also get some some side income would be so nice.
If you try these ideas or already have these as your self care routine, let me know in the comments!